When aggressive Moisture adsorption is necessary in commercial or industrial applications, molecular sieves are usually employed. These powerful desiccants may be utilised in order to eliminate any traces of moisture from a given environment, provided they are used in the proper quantity. Some of the typical examples of using such a desiccant will be in digital products in addition to pharmaceutical products where any traces of moisture can damage the circuits.
What Provides this Desiccant a high adsorption quality is the existence of an intricate network of pores and empty cavities where moisture or vapors can be adsorbed. The pore sizes of the desiccant are measured in a unit named Angstroms. Molecular sieves can be found in versions like 3X, 4X, 5X, 10X etc. The higher the numerical value, the greater will be the adsorption capabilities. The chemical name of the desiccant is Artificial Sodium Magnesium or Magnesium Aluminosilicate.
There are several Desirable features of this particular desiccant which make it an ideal choice for use in demanding applications. Here are a few traits of the desiccant:
- The melting point of the desiccant is a bit less than 2900 degrees Fahrenheit.
- It is an odorless desiccant which means it can readily be used with food products in addition to pharmaceutical products.
- Additionally, it demonstrates a slight fire and explosion hazard, which makes it safe for use in various kinds of high temperature applications also.
- Chemically also, this is a really stable substance which means that it will not react with other substances.
- Workers handling this desiccant are not vulnerable to any known chronic health hazards. OSHA, NTP or IARC has not recorded it as a carcinogen.
- The only precautions you need to consider while handling this material is that the correct use of gloves and masks as skin or eye contact could lead to irritation. It needs to be handled in a region where there is ventilation.
Considering these Points, it is apparent that molecular sieves are among the most easy to take care of desiccants. However, given their competitive adsorption properties, they are also one of the more expensive desiccants to secure. This desiccant pouch is usually sold in the shape of opaque beige or tan beads. When packaged in the right materials, these desiccant packets can be set along with a number of diverse products.
There are several Firms who are engaged in continued research pertaining to newer applications of this desiccant. Since molecular sieves have the ability to consume up to 20 percent of Their own weight, they may be used for prolonged moisture control applications. Actually, some studies have shown that these desiccants may be efficiently used In a variety of applications to bring down the relative humidity to as low as 10%.